The Umpqua Valley Tennis Center (formerly Stewart Park Tennis Complex) is a public facility with a 50+ year history, created for the City of Roseburg almost entirely with private donations.
In 1959 the Junior Chamber of Commerce spearheaded a campaign to install 6 public outdoor courts in Stewart Park, largely with volunteer help. By 1970, the U.S. was experiencing a tennis boom and the JayCees stepped up again adding 6 more outdoor courts. In 1980, a clubhouse/snack bar was added, dubbed the Hoffman Center to honor Al Hoffman, the legendary coach who led Roseburg High School’s tennis team to multiple district and state championships.
By 1989, interest in year-round play was strong enough that the tennis community was able to raise the funds to construct 3 indoor courts. Twenty three years and $1.6M in donations later, 3 additional indoor courts were added along with locker rooms, a pro shop, superb court viewing, and meeting & lounge areas.